The Taste of Mauritius Comes to London
We love incredible food on the Made in Mauritius blog and one of our favourite chefs is Selina Periampillai, also know as Taste of Mauritius. So, we were honoured to be invited to lunch earlier this year to one of her supper clubs in London.
We’ve followed Selina’s deserved rise on the culinary scene with interest as her innovative, exciting and exotic Mauritian dishes begin to get the attention they deserve internationally. From seasonal dishes for Mother’s Day and Christmas to exceptional individual dishes such as Mauritian Goat Curry, Monkfish skewers and Spicy Seafood Coconut Broth, Taste of Mauritius shows both a respect for tradition with a very modern flair.
Lunch is served
The atmosphere at a Taste of Mauritius supper club is relaxed and fun with Selina making guests feel very welcome. It’s a family affair and therefore children are always greeted warmly and made to feel special.
Selina’s experience in private catering means everything works like clockwork and before long the group conversation is in full flow and everyone can smell the tantalising flavours of Mauritian cuisine from the kitchen.
- Gateaux Piment (split pea chilli balls)
- Aubergine Fritter (fried in a seasoned gram flour batter)
- Served with Tomato Satani and Fresh Coriander Satini
- Mauritian Chicken Curry (tender marinated pieces of chicken cooked in cinnamon and curry spices)
- King Prawn Rougaille (prawns cooked in a spicy tomato based sauce with fresh coriander)
- Fish Vindaye (pickled mustard & turmeric fish)
- Dhall Puri (Mauritian style split pea filled flatbread)
- Spiced Cinnamon & Cardamom Rice
- Carrot & Green mango, Coconut Salad
- Achar (beans, carrot & cabbage pickle)
- Flambe Pineapple in Rum Chamarel served with Homemade Coconut Ice Cream & Toasted Coconut Crunch
The way the menu is constructed means the flavours can all be enjoyed individually and as a group everyone was incredibly impressed, vowed that they’d be back soon and would tell all of their friends. This really is an excellent culinary experience you won’t want to miss from a chef at the top of her game. The choice of ingredients, combination of flavours and surprising elements to the meal is a real joy to experience.
For more on Taste of Mauritius see the new website and remember Selina is also available for private/event catering and recipe and menu development.
Does A Taste of Mauritius sound good to you?
Book your next big adventure with us today.
For great deals try Air Mauritius Holidays.
Want more on Mauritius? Check out the rest of our site here.
Photo Credit: Rice and Curry-Guilia Mule, Aubergine Fritters - Charlotte Hu, Chicken Curry - Guilia Mule, Tasters - Charlotte Hu.